DNF as default package manager

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Fri Jan 23 12:09:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:45:21PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Jan 21, 2015, at 8:00, Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Also I'd like to point out that if two packages offer the same provide, by
> > definition it means they are 100% exchangeable from the perspective of that
> > functionality.
>
> This is very, very wrong.  Even minor differences in packaging and API can break stable configurations when they occur without notice. The classic example is "mysql-libs", which every MySQL fork includes and which are incompatible with components from other forks, and for which updates cause mixed updated from different major forks. Hilarity ensues.

Btw, this is why the Open Build Service does not rely not a standard
dependency solver, but does its own dependency solving. That way it
will report a "multiple providers" error if there are different providers
of some dependency and the config does not specify which package to
prefer.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX GmbH,           GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg