initscripts

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 27 19:56:39 UTC 2015

Am 27.01.2015 um 20:50 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 08:49 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> * KVM bridge configuration
>>
>> Works fine in F21+, I'm using NM on both my main desktop/test box and
>> my server VM host.
>
> Testing now on a VM, with the Fedora 21 Workstation. Getting the gui's
> to work after installation with the "Server" installation ISO than I
> could spend, even after I brought in enough debris to get a GUI
> screen.
>
> I'll also point out that with either installation, it's unusably slow,
> it's unusably slow as a VM on a 2 GHz server with a pretty good ATI
> video card and 2 Gig of RAM allocated, so that makes testing awkward
> for me. I can switch window managers to something remotely sane, but
> then I lose the complex integration that makes the NetworkManager
> configuration utilities available.
>
> The modern anaconda tools and NetworkManager do indeed have access to
> installation time configuration of tagged VLAN's and pair bonding,
> although the interface is quite poor. Please refer to Eric Raymond's
> old essay on "The Luxury of Ignorance" for guidelines on why it is so
> poor, the lack of display of "what am I going to change from the
> current status" is merely one of its many issues, and the lack of a
> usable 'Help' key is pretty serious.
>
> Bridges for KVM are not supported. What is apparent is that
> NetworkManager supports 'DCB', data center bridging. That's a
> different technology. And that puts us right into one of the
> guidelines Eric added to his essay as a postscript:
>
>           Are there settings you can do from the command line or
> hand-editing config files that cannot be done from the GUI? Are they
> documented anywhere? Does using the GUI erase these settings?
>
> I have to admit that I remain pretty unhappy with NetworkManager. It's
> a complex GUI on top of the underlying actual iinit scrupts, it
> doesn't do a good job of exposing the available options and there's no
> usable 'help' interface. Altogether, I'm afraid I have to classify it
> as a "bad tool" and recommend strongly against it for producton use.
> It's also partly why I try to put 'NM_CONTROLLED=no' in every
> /etc/sysconfig/network for servers that I work with

signed!

and the main point is: there is no need to replace network.service on
*any* static configured machine and nobody with responsibility for
complex networks right in his mind is playing games if he is running a
magnitude of machines, all similar configured, all with differnt jobs
and a mix of Fedora/RHEL5,6,7

that won't change for many years

there is a usecase for NM, surely, but not for me and not for a lot of
other people working professional in serious setups and tend to
configure personal workstations left and right as much as possible ike
the production environment

frankly i have enough of "change for the sake of change" as well i won't
use notebooks or other "mobile devices" for serious tasks for the rest
of my life - period