F23 Self Contained Change: Netizen Spin

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon May 18 19:41:06 UTC 2015

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:50:44AM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> > A spin is a big effort with many interoperating packages and coordination
> > with other teams (primarily releng, but you should also seek guidance from
> > QA).  It qualifies as a System Wide Change.
>
> Especially if this particular spin is asking for significant deviation
> from our standard config (something I'm unclear about -- see Spins list
> discussion). In that case, this definitely should be considered as
> system-wide.

On this particular procedural point, I think _all_ spins should be considered system-wide due to the required involvement of rel-eng, council and others; they are by no means “self-contained” in the sense that nobody else needs to help with getting them done.

And generally I agree with the concern raised on the spins list (https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/spins/2015-May/004222.html and following) that the spin description can, at least by a quick read without reading the actual kickstart, likely to be misunderstood to deliver more than it actually does. For example, just including a tor package by no means guarantees privacy (e.g. it does nothing about all the ways Fedora leaks information about being Fedora).
    Mirek