Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 13:03:38 UTC 2015

Dne 11.9.2015 v 14:46 Germano Massullo napsal(a):
> I have read the whole discussion and I would like to share my opinion,
> even if I think it could be a bit off-topic.
> Given that Fedora community alone, cannot educate every upstream
> developer about unbundling, and considering that it is a problem that
> interests all main Linux distributions: I think that Fedora community
> could (and should) propose to other Linux distribution communities to
> make a general effort to kindly ask upstream devs to reconsider their
> work, enforcing unbundling.
> This will take years, but I think it is a way we should cover.

How Fedora wants to educate 'upstream' when it rather fails on many levels
when we talk about library handling.

Fault #1

Fedora badly supports multiple libraries of different version - i.e. typically
full rebuild of whole repo is made when new library is introduced - which is
typically quite bad idea (and this is not just because of simple version
change requires reload of many GB of packages)
(I've already complained that usage of rawhide & rpmfusion is getting silly)

Fault #2

Version of libraries is wrongly handled on packaging level as well as on build
level and many library packages are not correctly versioned - so if someone
believe there is some use of  libname.so.major.minor.patch - for RPM it's
mostly useless and if symbols are not properly version inside library,
dependency will simply not work -  and just adding 'constant' version string
to every symbol inside library will not make this work

Zdenek