Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 16:17:32 UTC 2015

Dne 11.9.2015 v 16:44 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

> Am 11.09.2015 um 16:31 schrieb Zdenek Kabelac:
>> Dne 11.9.2015 v 15:47 Reindl Harald napsal(a):
>>> don't tell me rpmfusion could not easily make that fully automated

>>> you said "every one has tons of free time" - well - and who would
>>> maintain the
>>> dozen of versions of libraries packages?
>>
>> You miss few important points:
>>
>> 1.)
>> If you have  lib.so.2  and lib.so.4 - it may need far more work then
>> just running  rpmbuild   - so far away from 'fully automated'.
>
> do we now build distributions backed by "may" and "possible"
>
> in most cases it is just a "rpmbuild" like the mass-build on koji and the
> exceptions need some handwork, no big drama
>
>> 2.)
>> What maintaining time are we talking about - since Fedora breaks working
>> thing in the first place for no good reason and force massive
>> maintenance time on every user of new library in 'short' time for some
>> potential 'security' fixes - but you may on the other hand put in dozed
>> of new security breaks anyway  - and when I see how frequently i.e. gtk
>> libs  may break whole distro -  it would be far more pleasant to see
>> just couple broken apps at time - instead of rendering whole  rawhide
>> unusable....
>
> just because you don't understand or agree with the reasons don't mean they
> are not good

In real-world developing & testing app to work with all components takes
significantly more time  then in Fedora 'garden'.

Not sure why you fail to understand this - I do like to have some apps to be
latest/greatest - while others might be rather 'tested & stable' or even 'have
them' (since they are no longer developed).

More complex projects even fail to fit in 1/2 year release cycle.

In non-Fedora 'world' it's the user who picks what he want to use,
however in Fedora 'garden' a few people selects what user may use and puts
huge walls and pointless obstacle all around if they want to use something
else -  yes I fail to see why this should be good for me....

Zdenek