Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 17:17:05 UTC 2015

Dne 11.9.2015 v 18:22 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

> Am 11.09.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Zdenek Kabelac:

>>> do we now build distributions backed by "may" and "possible"
>>>
>>> in most cases it is just a "rpmbuild" like the mass-build on koji and the
>>> exceptions need some handwork, no big drama

>>> just because you don't understand or agree with the reasons don't mean
>>> they
>>> are not good
>>
>> In real-world developing & testing app to work with all components takes
>> significantly more time  then in Fedora 'garden'.
>
> don't explain me the real world after 12 years of software development
>
>> Not sure why you fail to understand this - I do like to have some apps
>> to be latest/greatest - while others might be rather 'tested & stable'
>> or even 'have them' (since they are no longer developed).
>>
>> More complex projects even fail to fit in 1/2 year release cycle.
>>
>> In non-Fedora 'world' it's the user who picks what he want to use,
>> however in Fedora 'garden' a few people selects what user may use and
>> puts huge walls and pointless obstacle all around if they want to use
>> something else -  yes I fail to see why this should be good for me....
>
> really?
>
> that must be the reason why i run Fedora successful for 7 years now on all
> sort of production and development servers and chose for myself which version
> of mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail and what not is running and when it is
> deplyoed independent of Fedora reelase cycles in both directions (holding
> major upgrades back as well as make them long before Fedora)

We are finally getting to the point....

How many machines do you need to use for that setup ?
I prefer to use 1 system on 1 hardware on 1 disk - no kvm, no qemu.
And even containers are not a good fit - thought getting close....

Why I cannot use multiple different versions of php on a SINGLE machine ?
Why I cannot use some  10 years old graphical program (unless I do a local
static compilation, so I'm sure it will work) ?

It's called free of choice....

Zdenek

PS: And my Fedora is even older continually upgraded rawhide...