Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 11 17:29:10 UTC 2015

Am 11.09.2015 um 19:17 schrieb Zdenek Kabelac:
> Dne 11.9.2015 v 18:22 Reindl Harald napsal(a):
>>> In non-Fedora 'world' it's the user who picks what he want to use,
>>> however in Fedora 'garden' a few people selects what user may use and
>>> puts huge walls and pointless obstacle all around if they want to use
>>> something else -  yes I fail to see why this should be good for me....
>>
>> really?
>>
>> that must be the reason why i run Fedora successful for 7 years now on
>> all
>> sort of production and development servers and chose for myself which
>> version
>> of mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail and what not is running and
>> when it is
>> deplyoed independent of Fedora reelase cycles in both directions (holding
>> major upgrades back as well as make them long before Fedora)
>
> We are finally getting to the point....
>
> How many machines do you need to use for that setup?

2 - one to test and 1 production host backed by a failover machine
running a dozens of VM's but *not* because different versions but
because of different services / customers and security profiles

> I prefer to use 1 system on 1 hardware on 1 disk - no kvm, no qemu.
> And even containers are not a good fit - thought getting close....

and because you don't want to handle modern technologies like
virtualization others should suck tainting a clean installation?

> Why I cannot use multiple different versions of php on a SINGLE machine ?
> Why I cannot use some  10 years old graphical program (unless I do a
> local static compilation, so I'm sure it will work) ?

uhm i know people which can even configure each of their customers on a
single machine for different php-versions selecting 4.x, 5.0, 5.1, 5.3,
5.4 and 5.5 currently.................