missing in release notes...

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 23:22:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 16:27 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Francesco Tombolini <tombo at adamantio.net>, spake thus:
>
> > 1) no italian entities where used to make the documents but the english were
> > used instead (I have cecked it in RELEASE-NOTES.xml)
>
> *This* is the problem I am having with XML2PO's XML updating: it eats
> the &ENTITY; string in the output XML.  It's easy to reproduce this
> problem.  Checkout the "example-tutorial" and:
>
> $ make validate-xml-de
> $ vi de/example-tutorial.xml
>
> The first <para>, the one that mentions "the local entity", has been
> transcribed incorrectly, leaving out the "&LOCAL-ENT;" string.
>
> PO2XML does not exhibit this problem, but seems not to be able to
> locate some of your replacement strings.
>
> This is frustrating.
>
> For now, I think you are doing everything correctly; when we get the
> toolchain working, you should see better results.

I have been playing with intltool a little to see how it works.
Although it appears to work (when you add a dash of XSLT to mark the
elements that are intended for translation), a toolchain using intltool
would not preserve entity markings.  Instead, the translators would have
to retranslate a line if the entity value changed.  Obviously not
optimal.