Beta documentation: upgrades

Zachary Oglesby zach at oglesby.co
Mon Nov 26 17:51:32 UTC 2012

> Hey, folks. I just wanted to check in and see if someone's on top of
> documenting the upgrade process for Beta, as it's still somewhat manual.
> I don't believe it's going to be as simple as 'yum install fedup; fedup'
> - it'll at least involve feeding an explicit URL to fedup.
>
> We have a test case that documents the current procedure:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop
>
> I believe the target URL will change for the public release, but the
> procedure I think will stay more or less the same.
>
> Does someone want to co-ordinate with wwoods and tflink (who know the
> most about fedup, I think) to make sure this is documented in the Beta
> relnotes or whatever? Thanks!
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net

Along with this I think that we need to put something in the release
notes, possibly in the installer section.

Some along the lines of what is already on this[1] page should be
sufficient.

"Beginning with Fedora 18 Beta, a new upgrade tool fedup has been
introduced, replacing older PreUpgrade. FedUp currently only supports
Fedora 17 -> Fedora 18 upgrades. If you want to upgrade Fedora 16, you
need to go through Fedora 17 as an intermediary step. More information
about the process [see the Install Guide]."

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F18_bugs

Zach