Fedora User Guide

Christopher R. Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 15 19:13:00 UTC 2013

Hi:

On 04/15/2013 09:25 AM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> I really like the idea of having a User Guide, even if it is a
> duplication of some information. It makes the distro more
> approachable to newer users. On the other hand, the "current" User
> Guide is quite a behemoth, which makes it hard to maintain. When
> major changes like Gnome 3 happen, it's even worse.
>
> I'd be okay with pulling the plug on the User Guide.

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Petr Kovar <pkovar at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> During the docs meeting last week, we discussed deprecating the
>> Fedora User Guide. This guide has not been updated since F14 (so
>> it still documents GNOME 2 etc.) and has no active maintainer.
>> There are several bugs open against the guide, but nobody is
>> working on them.
>>
>> In the current form, the guide pretty much duplicates end-user
>> help for individual desktop environments and applications
>> available on Fedora, so I propose to formally deprecate the guide
>> and close the bugs.

I'm not really sure what "formally deprecate" means.

If there is no active maintainer, and the Guide hasn't been published
since Fedora 14, then is it not already practically deprecated, in the
sense that any interested party will realize we are not actively
updating and maintaining it?

If, after we formally deprecate the User Guide, somebody came along
and wanted to make significant revisions, would we say "no?" Hopefully
not.

So I guess this just means that we'll close active bugs with an
explanation of "the User Guide is deprecated and will not be updated
in the near future." This makes a certain amount of sense, and we
could even do it for other Guides that have fallen behind, if there
are any.

Is this an accurate understanding of the situation?

Christopher