Defensive and secure coding guide: call for renaming files

Dimitris Glezos glezos at transifex.com
Mon Aug 26 01:56:42 UTC 2013

Hi Christopher,

Directory structure is not a feature which will be added to Transifex.
Translators want to work on streams of translation entities.
Directories, and even files (let along hundreds of files*) are not
good for the translation process.

Our intention is to allow translators to work on a whole project
rather than having to work explicitly on individual "files". This
should happen with the entities in order, with context, and the active
entity source showing up clearly.

The Transifex Client understands arbitrarily complex directories and
is compatible with a setup like that. To make sure resource names are
unique, you can name the resources accordingly:

 Dir: a/b/c.po  → Tx resource name: a-b-c (all dirs)
 Dir: a/b/c.po  → Tx resource name: c, next occurences c-1, c-2 etc.
 Dir: a/b/c.po  → Tx resource name: a5c2bfe-c (hash from dir path)

Hope this helps!

-d

* The Fedora Install guide at the moment has close to 1000 files. I
can tell you, it is arguably the ugliest project on Transifex. :-)
  https://fedora.transifex.com/projects/p/fedora-install-guide/resources/

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Christopher Antila
<crantila at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> On 08/25/2013 04:04 AM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The Defensive and coding guide sports an interesting and forgotten
>> feature in its file organization: directories.
>> Beyond directories, it also happens to show files having the same name
>> (such as Language.xml, found in Python/, Java/, CXX/, C/, etc. or
>> schema.xml).
>>
>> You tell me, that is what directories are for. Fair enough.
>>
>> The real issue here is that pushing .po resulting from those XML files
>> to Transifex which only handles uniquely named resources in a flat
>> hierarchy leads to a mess, where there is no predictibility in having
>> the Language resource always the same on Transifex, depending how those
>> are pushed.
>>
>> Could it be possible to rename all those files to unique names, ideally
>> with the subdir as a prefix (such as CXX-Language.xml or C-schema.xml)
>> so that we have unique resource names in Transifex?
>>
>> Furthermore, could we add a requirement to documentation authors in
>> order to ensure that all XML files in their document hierarchy show
>> unique names?
>
> This is an interesting problem that the guide's author probably didn't
> think of! I'm definitely in favour of renaming these files as a
> short-term solution. I suggest that the best long-term solution is to
> add a directory-like feature to Transifex. After all, if authors think a
> hierarchic information strategy is useful, then translators would
> probably also think it's useful.
>
> Another issue: according to the bug Jérôme opened, it looks like Florian
> Weimer is the guide owner, but I don't see it in the guides table.[0] So
> what's going on here?
>
> Either way, I'd be happy to help rename files, unless anybody objects.
>

> Christopher
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table

Dimitris Glezos
Founder & CEO, Transifex