A reminder to writers

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon May 13 19:59:15 UTC 2013

On May 13, 2013, at 1:46 PM, joat <joat at 757.org> wrote:

> If the group decides that "see" is an idiom, I won't argue.

The original examples taken from existing documention are idiomatic expressions not to be taken literally, the word see isn't itself an idiom.

There's always a trade off between using natural language in technical writing, vs being linguistically precise. An excess of precision will cause the reading to be dry, boring, stilted and actually more difficult to get through. This is one reason why we have expressions.

Chris Murphy