Introduction

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Wed Jan 22 00:00:21 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 05:33 AM, Joerg Stephan wrote:
> Hi docs team,
>
> my name is Joerg Stephan and i am an 34 year old system administrator
> from Germany. I basically work on maintaining some hundreds of
> debian/ubuntu based servers and a handful of centos machines. Besides my
> administrator work i am also responsible for IT security questions.
>
> I would like to join the docs project and contribute to fedora docs.
>
> First i would like to start with the "CSI Security Policy" and
> update/review and expand it, which was already topic on infrastructure
> side. Than maybe translate it to German. Maybe someone can help me
> finding the source and introduce me to docbook :-)
>
> Cheers
Hello Joerg, and welcome!

The CSI Security document hasn't been touched in a while, it will be
good to have it updated. You can find the source at fedorahosted[1] .
There's also a trac instance[2] and disused mailing list[3] that might
be helpful for you. I see you have already reached out[4] to the infra
and security groups regarding the content; while there is some overlap
into docs, those groups will of course be a great resource for you. I
suspect some consensus will be required for something that we are
publishing as "policy", hopefully the above resources will get you in
touch with the relevant stakeholders.

You will get the hang of DocBook pretty quickly, once you start looking
over the source. Nothing too intimidating, just XML with tags for
structure and context.  I got started by listing valid tags with
`publican print_known` and looking for excuses to use what was listed.
The Documentation Guide[5] will give you some insight into docbook and
Fedora Docs processes; it also has a lot of gaps, so it is a good place
to practice :) The Docs wiki pages[6] also have a lot of information,
but it can be maze-like.  You can always reach out to the mailing list
for help, or #fedora-docs on freenode, where if you idle around, someone
will usually answer you eventually, if not right away.

I have sponsored you into the 'docs' FAS group, warm welcome again.
Once you get rolling, send in a couple patches[7] to the list, and when
it appears you can operate an editor responsibly, etc, I would be happy
to sponsor you into docs-writers for commit access as well.

[1] ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/csi.git
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/csi/
[4]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/infrastructure/2014-January/013957.html
[5] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/documentation-guide.git
[6] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project?rd=DocsProject - as a
starting point
[7]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Documentation_Guide/chap-documentation_guide-workflow.html
- section on patching published as I write this

--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - immanetize at fedoraproject.org