Getting Started Docker/Container Guide

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Tue Jul 7 21:02:42 UTC 2015

On Jul 7, 2015 3:34 PM, "Sandra McCann" <scmccann2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Glen
>
> At the doc meeting, the general consensus was that the upstream
documentation was great as you say, and we would just put links to it in
the Fedora Release Notes.

> Might be worth bringing up on the next meeting if you can be there to
discuss pros n cons etc.

> (fwiw I like the outline :-)
>
> Sandra
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Glen Rundblom <glen at rundblom.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 07/06/2015 08:44 AM, Sandra McCann wrote:
>>>
>>> My nickel - I took the 30 second tour of the docker user guide here:
>>> https://docs.docker.com/userguide/
>>>
>>> And there's a lot to it.  What I'd be interested in as a potential
docker user is probably two things:
>>> 1 - what is it? (probably covered well in the docker guides)
>>> 2- where do I  find images? (like can I run fedora as a container? )
>>> 3 - assuming I found an image - how to I bring it up in Fedora?
>>>
>>> It's the last two that I couldn't immediately find in my 30 second
tour.  Do they also exist in the docker doc set and I was just too lazy to
find it??

>>> Sandra

thing to make a getting started guide for docker and linux containers but,
Docker's online documentation is excellent. I am not sure if it would be a
good thing to make a guide that might be obsoleted quickly when such a good
support resource exists.

>> Hi Sandra!
>> Thanks for taking the time to reply, I wasn’t thinking of it in that
manner.
>> Your points sparked an idea on the outline for the Container guide,
>> So I put thoughts to keyboard please edit/comment:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container-Docker_Getting_Started_Guide
>>
>> Thanks for the comment, it really helped my brain re-engage and inspired
me.

>> --

There's a few things to consider here.  There's value in demonstrating
Fedora's potential - even if the upstream documentation is great.   That
could be done with the Release Notes, or a guide - the choice depends on
how much effort you (you, Glen, not a figurative you) are willing to devote
to initial writing and ongoing upkeep of the book, not just the viability
of the content.

A container guide for Fedora IMO should have a different scope from
upstream documentation.  It could talk about use cases, management tools,
deployment methodology, other things that I don't have the expertise to
bring up.  That sort of comprehensive coverage would merit an independent
guide, but increases the amount of effort required...

If you want to go for it, there would be support from experienced devs and
admins in the project and guidance on writing technique from the docs
team.  If you have a mild interest but don't want to commit to a huge book,
we should talk about a different approach.  Some day there will be tooling
to publish arbitrary short articles, we could start prepping content for
that time.

--Pete