Getting Started Docker/Container Guide

Glen Rundblom glen at rundblom.com
Wed Jul 8 02:33:20 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 04:02 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2015 3:34 PM, "Sandra McCann" <scmccann2000 at gmail.com
> <mailto:scmccann2000 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Glen
> >
> > At the doc meeting, the general consensus was that the upstream
> documentation was great as you say, and we would just put links to it
> in the Fedora Release Notes.
> >
> > Might be worth bringing up on the next meeting if you can be there
> to discuss pros n cons etc.
> >
> > (fwiw I like the outline :-)
> >
> > Sandra
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Glen Rundblom <glen at rundblom.com
> <mailto:glen at rundblom.com>> wrote:

> docker user is probably two things:

> tour.  Do they also exist in the docker doc set and I was just too
> lazy to find it??

> good thing to make a getting started guide for docker and linux
> containers but, Docker's online documentation is excellent. I am not
> sure if it would be a good thing to make a guide that might be
> obsoleted quickly when such a good support resource exists.

> >> Hi Sandra!
> >> Thanks for taking the time to reply, I wasn’t thinking of it in
> that manner.
> >> Your points sparked an idea on the outline for the Container guide,
> >> So I put thoughts to keyboard please edit/comment:
> >>
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container-Docker_Getting_Started_Guide
> >>
> >> Thanks for the comment, it really helped my brain re-engage and
> inspired me.
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> There's a few things to consider here.  There's value in demonstrating
> Fedora's potential - even if the upstream documentation is great.
> That could be done with the Release Notes, or a guide - the choice
> depends on how much effort you (you, Glen, not a figurative you) are
> willing to devote to initial writing and ongoing upkeep of the book,
> not just the viability of the content.
>
> A container guide for Fedora IMO should have a different scope from
> upstream documentation.  It could talk about use cases, management
> tools, deployment methodology, other things that I don't have the
> expertise to bring up.  That sort of comprehensive coverage would
> merit an independent guide, but increases the amount of effort required...
>
> If you want to go for it, there would be support from experienced devs
> and admins in the project and guidance on writing technique from the
> docs team.  If you have a mild interest but don't want to commit to a
> huge book, we should talk about a different approach.  Some day there
> will be tooling to publish arbitrary short articles, we could start
> prepping content for that time.
>
> --Pete

Thanks Pete for your reply.
I think I would like to take on the task of making a guide. Brian
Exelbierd offered to give me a hand and I would like to take that offer.

I think I can contribute some use cases of my own as I am trying to see
if Docker can solve some problems on my own Linux environment.

I am finishing up a large project, and will be more regular at the docs
meetings starting next week. However I would like to begin to get the
ball rolling on this guide.

Thanks!
-Glen