EPEL quick epel7 update

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:49:38 UTC 2014

On 16 June 2014 21:29, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:12:57 +0200
> Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Another thing, there are packages that are spread into multiple
> > upstream optional channels that make it impossible to include some
> > packages in the distribution.
> >
> > One thread here:
> >

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2014-June/009600.html
> >
> > Releng ticket here:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5915
>
> But thats NOT the case there... for some reason those packages aren't
> appearing in koji buildroots, but they _ARE_ in the base repos.
>
> So, there's a bug/issue there, but not the one you are thinking...
>
> I was hoping to have the final trees setup before trying to debug this.

Well, the example in the bug is not the exact "proof" but there are other
packages which are dispersed in the various channels, so I don't think
adding only server-7 and server-7-optional as it is now would suffice.

 I was about to point to the RC trees (which included all the variants) but
the link has been removed and in my Redhat account I only have Server and
RHEV available; so I can't point you to the example. :(

By memory there was Server, Server-optional, Workstation, Workstation
Optional, etc.

> As far as I know in CentOS all packages and subpackages are part of
> > the distribution, so this could be another reason to wait for the
> > CentOS release.
>
> I don't think I follow here.

In previous releases CentOS was inserting in the distribution all the
packages that make up the full spectrum of RHEL variants, so in version 6
it included for example the Workstation channel and a full Workstation was
installable for CentOS 6 (in fact all the content never fit into 1 dvd). As
far as I know they are not changing this policy.

By using CentOS as the basis and not RHEL 7 we could have all the channels
that are not used at the moment for building.

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/