EPEL quick epel7 update

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Jun 16 23:20:27 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 02:39 PM, Simone Caronni wrote:
> On 16 June 2014 21:28, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:03:57 +0200
>> Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> CentOS 7 is being built also for i386 and that would
>>> mean a lot of semplification into adding packages in EPEL 7. Right
>>> now the situation is a bit weird as many multilib dependencies cannot
>>> be satisfied and there are many obstacles in getting i386 binaries to
>>> run.
>>
>> That however, is another kettle of fish. ;)
>>
>> So, you are suggesting we move to building against CentOS instead of
>> RHEL and support 32bit? Where is the CentOS 32bit effort at?
>>

> As far as I know they are coming out with a completely installable i386
> tree on release date. A quick look hints that all of the packages are being
> built for 32 bit as well:

We are doing this, however not as the core distribution, but as a
special interest group effort. We cannot promise that we can sustain it
for the full life of EL7.

I had cornered Kevin and Dennis earlier this year to discuss the
possibility of adding the 32bit version as a secondary arch, however
they both (wisely) wanted to see how it turned out before committing.

Since we're the only ones doing 32bit that I'm aware of, it has less
user impact. Lets get EPEL7 proper out the door first and then openly
discuss adding the x86 secondary arch.

--
Jim Perrin