[FAmSCo] Changing the role of FAmSCo

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Thu Nov 4 15:12:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, David Nalley wrote:
>
>> So here goes - Pycon is coming up, and typically a number of our infra
>> folks attend. The early registration deadline is in January, which
>> might be difficult for a new famsco to tackle.
>>
>> I propose that we find some Fedora -infra and -devel contributors who
>> would benefit from attending PyCon and from whom Fedora would benefit
>> from their having attended. I'd propose we start working towards the
>> same thing for EuroPython for people in EMEA.
>>
>> As a matter of fact this was just the first idea that hit me - we
>> should be seeking out these opportunities all over Fedora, and not
>> just for conferences. If buying $fooequipment helps $contributor
>> accomplish something we should consider it (even if Max doesn't let us
>> have the other 1/2 of his budget, we are always under budget and could
>> spend the balance of the regional money at our disposal, and money
>> that disappears is an opportunity lost)
>>
>> Thoughts, comments, flames??
>
> I agree 100%.  Is the best (meaning most transparent) way to proceed
> simply an email to both -infra and -devel as well as a blog post that
> kicks this off, so to speak?
>
> If so, would you like to do it, or would you like me to do it?
>
> --Max

As a second reply - it's a very good point that we need to focus on
making this transparent and not some cabal with money spreading it
around (not that we shouldn't be looking for opportunities, people
have real problems asking in many cases) - my method thus far hasn't
been terribly transparent, which is FAIL.