[FAmSCo] Current Tasks

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:03:48 UTC 2016

Hi Giannis,

thanks for sending out this summary.

> 1. Final appointment of chair and vice-chair
>
> Potty had previously announced his withdrawal as a chair candidate. This
> made me the only candidate left. Cristoph has had concerns over this and
> claims that there was another nomination which was not considered.

Actually, tat's is not what I said. I said that
* all FAmSCo members should have had the possibility to run and
* if somebody wants somebody else to run, they should ask that person.

> Do you
> think we should keep the FAmSCo leadership the way it is (chair is giannisk,
> vice-chair is potty) or conduct another round of elections. And why?

I think I have already elaborated my POV.

If potty had not stepped down, I would have voted for him, which would
have changed the outcome of the election.

> 2. Fudcon LATAM
>
> Request has been reviewed by the council. Normally, we should have had it
> reviewed and then pass it over to the council, but we failed to do so in
> time.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/388

AFAICS the budget was the blocker for both bids. We meanwhile have budgets at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Puno_2016#General_Budget and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Montevideo_2016_bid#Budget

Montevideo seems way more expensive than Puno, but USD 9,000 out of
10,369 is for airfare, which is not taken into account in the Puno bit
at all., so it's hard to compare the bids.

I think we need the event owners to clarify their numbers before we
can make a decision. It would be nice if they attended the FAmSCo
meeting in case there are further questions.

> 3. Fudcon APAC
>
> To be reviewed by FAmSCo, then to be forwarded to the council. Please vote
> in the ticket below.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/389

The budget at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_PhnomPenh_2016#Budget_Planning
needs more work before we can pass this on to the Council.

USD 17,180 is a little over the limit of USD 15,000 for an APAC
FUDCon. While this problem can be solved (additional budget,
sponsors), what really worries me is that is that there are hardly any
contributors in Phnom Penh, so most will have to be flown in. This is
where it really gets expensive. ATM only USD 6,000 are allocated for
airfare of 12 (!) people, but it will probably be way more people.

AFAIK travel is an ongoing problem for the APAC FUDCons. How did we
solve the problem in the past?

> 4. Mentor nominations / cleaning-up inactive mentors
>
> Should be brought into discussion.

Is this a ticket for this? I only see
https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/359 but it seems to address a
different issue, namely mentors who want to step down (once and for
all).

Inactive mentors are a different problem IHMO. One can temporarily be
inactive for a couple of reasons. In the past, we had a wide consensus
in FAmSco and among the mentors that the mentor's status should not be
revoked but instead they should be marked inactive in the wiki.

> 5. Transition to FOSCo
>
> Likewise, needs to be discussed. Gnokii mentioned that he posted on the
> list, but his mail is still stuck in the moderation queue.

I will look into that, but I guess it's just Gnokii sending from the
wrong email address again. He  can easily fix this by sending from the
subscribed address or change his subscription to desired address.

> Personally, I do
> not have admin rights to the list and have not made a request to obtain
> these, as there are still concerns related to the chair elections.

Current admins are Jiri and I. I'll be happy to hand over the
privileges to others.

Best regards,
Christoph