DVD installation experience

Sebastian Vahl deadbabylon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 24 12:14:53 UTC 2009

Hi.

Due to a discussion in the german forum I've tried a DVD installation of F11
today to see what happens if someone installs KDE instead of GNOME as desktop
(and don't touch the other groups).
The result was a bit frustrating: For many tasks there are now two
applications installed. One package from @kde-desktop, one (gnome) package
from the corresponding group (@internet, @sound-and-video etc).
In my eyes this might be a bit confusing to new users, especially if they are
familiar with KDE.

So is there a way we can change this? Or was this already discussed (and
rejected) in the past? Or should we simply advice KDE users to use the live
images and avoid the DVD?

Sebastian