Strange usb-mount behaviour - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 14 09:55:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009 00:00:09 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:01 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'd somehow lost Dolphin from the Default Applications list.
>
> That would do it :-)
>
> OT: I find it frustrating that KDE always asks me what to do when I plug
> in my pendrive. There doesn't seem to be an option to set a default
> action. It takes two mouse clicks to open Dolphin, not counting the
> initial one to get to the dialogue (Dolphin isn't even the preselected
> option despite being touted as the all-purpose file handling app).

I think the action options were well-liked in the past, so probably are here
to stay.  OTOH, I agree that it would be very useful to be able to set a
default action, so that Enter or clicking OK would be enough.  Otherwise,
setting dolphin to the top of the list would be an improvement.  That's my
opinion, anyway :-)

> And in the same vein, I'd also like to be able to simply mount the drive
> without opening any app. That doesn't appear to be possible either.

Hmm - that needs some thinking about.  When would you want to do that?  To
save a file to it, perhaps?

I opened a .jpg in gwenview, inserted a pen-drive without mounting it, then,
in gwenview clicked File > Save As.  I could see the pendrive in Places, so I
double-clicked it and it mounted.  The save completed.  Does that help?

What else did you have in mind?

> I'll report these to BZ if necessary but I just wanted to check that I'm
> not missing something obvious.

File an RFE for action options and post the number here.  If we can't solve
the other problem we'll file one for that as well.