Strange usb-mount behaviour - SOLVED

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Thu May 14 13:30:31 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson venit, vidit, dixit 14.05.2009 11:55:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009 00:00:09 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:01 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> I'd somehow lost Dolphin from the Default Applications list.
>>
>> That would do it :-)
>>
>> OT: I find it frustrating that KDE always asks me what to do when I plug
>> in my pendrive. There doesn't seem to be an option to set a default
>> action. It takes two mouse clicks to open Dolphin, not counting the
>> initial one to get to the dialogue (Dolphin isn't even the preselected
>> option despite being touted as the all-purpose file handling app).
>>
> I think the action options were well-liked in the past, so probably are here
> to stay.  OTOH, I agree that it would be very useful to be able to set a
> default action, so that Enter or clicking OK would be enough.  Otherwise,
> setting dolphin to the top of the list would be an improvement.  That's my
> opinion, anyway :-)
>
>> And in the same vein, I'd also like to be able to simply mount the drive
>> without opening any app. That doesn't appear to be possible either.
>>
> Hmm - that needs some thinking about.  When would you want to do that?  To
> save a file to it, perhaps?
>
> I opened a .jpg in gwenview, inserted a pen-drive without mounting it, then,
> in gwenview clicked File > Save As.  I could see the pendrive in Places, so I
> double-clicked it and it mounted.  The save completed.  Does that help?
>
> What else did you have in mind?

Well, some of us still use the command-line... but would like KDE to do
the mount, either automatically, or by using the mount helper. But it
doesn't even have an entry for "mount", does it?

Also, I don't seem to be able to specify mount options. If the volume is
in fstab then the mount helper refuses to mount them/open them in
Dolphin, no matter whether the mount points exists or not. The defaults
have changed recently (F10 updates), so that's a bit of a nuisance.

Michael