[Fedora-spins] spin-kickstarts branched

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Oct 18 12:59:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:34:22 +0200,
  Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.10.2011, 21:19 -0500 schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> > I created the F-16 branch for spin-kickstarts. Changes for F17+ should go
> > to master and changes for F16+ should go to master and F-16.
>
> BTW, shouldn't we branch spin-kickstarts already at alpha?

Historically there has been little to no future development of ks files
in parallel with work for the upcoming release, so that branching early
seems to make the process more work and more error prone for no real
benefit. So we have delayed branching until near final freeze.

> > (Nirik, can you switch the nightly builds over to building from the F-16
> > branch?)
>
> And while we are at it: How about switching the nightlies to F16 at Beta
> (freeze)?

I would think the nightlies should follow the branch for the upcoming
release and so should follow the spin-kickstarts branch for the upcoming
release. So if we were to branch spin-kickstarts at alpha, I think that
we'd want to have the nightlies use the branch rather than master until
a little after release. (Then they switch back to using master / rawhide.)