[Fedora-spins] spins in f19

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:02:13 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 10:05 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 14:30:43 -0600,
>    Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
>>
>> El Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:38:54 -0600
>> Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> escribió:
>>
>>> Are we going to start doing all spins at alpha and beta again? For a
>>> while we had only been doing the desktop spins. This makes it easier
>>> for oversights to go unnoticed.
>>
>> No we will not be doing all spins at alph and Beta only GA, the
>> nightlies are there for testing all of them. its not that they are not
>> being made just how they are made and shipped.
>
> Since releng is using koji, this isn't that important. One can check the
> nightlies to make sure things are working. I was worried that looking at
> the nightlies might not show problems occuring in releng's build process.
>
>> I honestly want to kill off spins as it stands. make just the 5 desktop
>> spins as livecds. redefine things in someother way. maybe its going to
>> be f20 or later before we can. but I do think we need to look at better
>> ways to get the end results.
>
> Suprisingly I am not that big of a fan of having lots of prebuilt live
> images. I think building them when you want them is better, since you
> start with up to date packages. Having the recipies (whether ks files or
> this new ansible proposal) seems better. With us dropping the CD size
> limit, we might be able to post a single DVD sized live image that
> allows people to try out all of the desktops.

I somewhat agree. I think most spins could be better serviced by comps
groups selectable via anaconda.

In the audio spin for example, there are still some requirements which
aren't available at install time, namely additional kernel parameters
and group ownership. These are things I would like to talk with the
anaconda team over the next release cycle.

Having said that, having a Live CD for use with USB overlay is very
attractive for musicians on the move. Having something working out of
the box in such a way is one of the main reasons we chose the Spin road.
If it was possible to roll you own spin on demand (ie a webbased UI
which provides all the available .ks files as a base), we could do away
with Spins altogether. Some of the formula concepts were interesting too.