Streaming sessions

Wilbur K Smith wilbur.k.smith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 21:20:03 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,
I have not live-streamed video from it, but I have a Canon 7D SLR than can
do 1080p and I can bring it along to help out. Most of the mid-level DSLRs
on the market can output through a standard HDMI or Mini-HDMI port, so it
may be easy to borrow a few from others. I've worked with VLC for
streaming, but this was for multicast projects.I'll need to play with it
and come up with a good config; I'll take a look at this over the holiday.
The key question will be what formats Ooyala servers in can can handle.

If anyone has a link to Ooyala's technical info and support, I'll put some
time into this and see what I can come up with.

Happy to help,
Wilbur

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Ruth Suehle <rsuehle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ooyala is going to help us with streaming Flock sessions. We just need
> equipment. "Just." I'm trying to stretch budgets from everywhere just to
> get all of Flock happening, so there's not a lot leftover for buying camera
> equipment! Possibly some, but I don't think I can swing enough for nine
> rooms.
>
> Thus, two questions:
>
> - Can anyone suggest reasonably inexpensive cameras I should look at
> purchasing? Whatever is the least expensive that isn't going to be so low
> quality, it's useless.
>
> - Does anyone have a video camera suitable that you'd be willing to lend
> to the cause? We'd have it set up in the rooms all day, but of course
> you're welcome to take it back to your hotel for safekeeping at night.
>
> Here's the information from Ooyala about how we can do the streaming.
> There are two options:
>
> 1) Hook up a camera to a computer running a software encoder via USB
> or Firewire.  Many of our customers use Flash Media Live Encoder,
> which is not open source.  VLC might be an open source option here as
> well, but I haven't personally used it in this setup.
>
> 2) Use a hardware encoder such as a Terradeck cube
> (http://www.teradek.com/pages/cube). These can take input from SDI or
> HDMI output on any camera and then re-encode them to push to a
> streaming server at whichever provider you select.
>

> Does anyone know whether VLC or something else is an option for #1? I
> think the Teradek is prohibitively expensive, especially if we also have to
> buy cameras.
>
> Thanks!
> Ruth

Wilbur K. Smith