Flock CFP deadline today (Apr 3)

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 14:00:38 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller píše v Čt 03. 04. 2014 v 09:29 -0400:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 08:54:42AM -0400, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> > While my opinion is that I'd rather have too many talks I'd like to see
> > than not enough, we heard that a lot, so there will probably be fewer. I
> > don't know exactly how many.
>
> "Too much awesome stuff happening at once!" *is* a nice problem to have.
>
> Maybe it is just my attention span, but personally, I'd prefer shortening
> talks over adding more tracks as a way of getting more content into the same
> overall timespan. Maybe not all of the talks could work this way, but I bet
> many can. Not necessarily like lightning talks with über-compression, but,
> say, 30 minutes instead of 45. 50% more talks not just at the conference,
> but that people can actually go to because they don't need to be somewhere
> else.

Hi,
I personally prefer fewer talks in a neatly selected schedule than a
conference with too many talks and tracks. IMHO there were too many
talks to the number of attendees at the last Flock. You spend a lot of
time preparing a talk and then it's attended by 5 people, because there
are 7 other talks running, and the reach is minimal.

At DevConf.cz, we also have 6 parallel tracks, but the conference covers
much more than just Fedora and it's attended by 1,000 people, so each
talk/workshop got at least 20 attendees.

I really liked the last GUADEC which is about the same size as Flock.
They only had two tracks (which is probably too few for Flock, I admit),
all the talks were picked because they represented important project and
issues and they made nice blocks by topics. The whole conference was
very relaxed and I really enjoyed it. Moreover they also devoted equal
time to the schedule of BoFs and I still think that Flock should be more
about getting together, discussing, and maybe even getting stuff done
than about presenting your stuff to others. It's a contributor
conference after all.

Jiri