Flock CFP deadline today (Apr 3)

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 14:48:44 UTC 2014

> Matthew Miller píše v Čt 03. 04. 2014 v 09:29 -0400:
> > On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 08:54:42AM -0400, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> > > While my opinion is that I'd rather have too many talks I'd like to see
> > > than not enough, we heard that a lot, so there will probably be fewer. I
> > > don't know exactly how many.
> >
> > "Too much awesome stuff happening at once!" *is* a nice problem to have.
> >
> > Maybe it is just my attention span, but personally, I'd prefer shortening
> > talks over adding more tracks as a way of getting more content into the
> > same
> > overall timespan. Maybe not all of the talks could work this way, but I bet
> > many can. Not necessarily like lightning talks with über-compression, but,
> > say, 30 minutes instead of 45. 50% more talks not just at the conference,
> > but that people can actually go to because they don't need to be somewhere
> > else.
>
> Hi,
> I personally prefer fewer talks in a neatly selected schedule than a
> conference with too many talks and tracks.

FWIW, that's my preference too after participating in Linux Foundation's
conferences (LinuxCon/CloudOpen, KVMForum) for the last couple of years.

But the fewer talks aspect may give a tough time (good -- improves talk
quality?) for the Flock program committee while selecting submissions.

I wonder for future Flocks, if we could experiment to run 10-15
minute FOSDEM-style ( wildly successful) lightening talks.

> IMHO there were too many
> talks to the number of attendees at the last Flock. You spend a lot of
> time preparing a talk and then it's attended by 5 people, because there
> are 7 other talks running, and the reach is minimal.

Hmm, this was certainly true for at-least a session or two -- I recall
someone at last Flock had to cancel their talk as there was no show up.

[. . .]
> issues and they made nice blocks by topics. The whole conference was
> very relaxed and I really enjoyed it. Moreover they also devoted equal
> time to the schedule of BoFs and I still think that Flock should be more
> about getting together, discussing, and maybe even getting stuff done

Yep, especially un-sexy stuff like bug-triaging/reproducing, etc.

/kashyap