Flock voting issues

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 5 14:48:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 09:48:41AM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > I said "20%", which, sure, is an arbitrary
> > number I made up, but by that I mean: given significant weight, but
> > only one of a number of important factors considered by the committee
> It would be interesting to hear from you (and others) what factors that
> you (and others) think should be included in the decision making process.

Definitely. I think the "useful/valuable/interesting to the Flock
community" factor is a large one, and the vote gives one indication of
that but the expert judgement of the committee can help with that too.
Additionally:

- Balancing speakers we know are well-respected and big draws with new
  voices and diverse perspectives

- Quality of and thought put into the proposal submission

- When there are submissions covering overlapping topics, choosing the
  best — when there are many talks proposed about a topic interesting
  to me, I might vote them all up, but really I just want to make sure
  there's one good talk on that topic

- And expanding on that, do we have good coverage across the project?

- Alignment with Flock's intended development/planning focus

- Alignment with current Fedora Project 12-18 month objectives (which
  are themselves intended to be selected by community process)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>