Punting on Sunday/Monday lunches

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:33:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 03:19:43PM -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> In the IRC meeting yesterday, we discussed the idea of having people do
> their own lunch on Sunday-Monday, and decided to discuss this on-list.
>
> Pros:
> - Saves money, which could be used for more travel sponsorships.
> - Lets people eat when/what they want.
>
> Cons:
> - People will have to wander off in search of food.
> - Loss of focus/energy on hackfests.
>
> To consider:
> - The SEQ and TEL buildings each have decent food available *in the
> building*, i.e., fresh pizza (Pizza Pizza); made-to-order Asian stirfry,
> burgers, and pitas; salads, fruit, cold drinks, and Tim Horton's. (I'm
> checking that this is open on Sunday).
> - There's a food court an easy 5-10 minute walk away (including Subway,
> Wendy's, KFC/Taco Bell, and Greek/Italian/Chinese).
>
> So, are we good to drop Sunday/Monday lunches?

I think we should.  In a sense, all of us community members will be
ponying up $10-15 apiece (in food costs) to ensure that more of our
fellow contributors can show up.  I'm not opposed to this in the
least.

I'm going to blog about it, let it simmer over the weekend, and if we
don't hear wailing and gnashing of teeth by Monday, we'll call it and
start making more travel plans.  Sound good?