Times

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:45:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:16:43PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:05:55PM -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 17:22 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > The original vision of the user track was to be more of a day-long
> > > session.  But I can see how offering instead a set of simple topics in
> > > 45-minute chunks would be helpful.  Is that what you're suggesting?
> >
> > Sure! We're all users, and I think that being able to mix and match
> > would have more value than placing a wall between the two groups of
> > tracks.
> >
> > I think it would also be easier to get speakers for the user track if
> > it's cleanly divided into segments. You could even have a basic user
> > track of sessions:
> > - Installing Fedora
> > - How to add and remove packages
> > - Basic configuration of Fedora in common residential network scenarios
> > - How to use audio (e.g., to set different volumes for different apps)
> >
> > ...and an intermediate user track:
> > - Communicating with the community - using the mailing lists, IRC, and
> > reading the planet
> > - Intro to Packaging
> > - How to file a bug
> > - How to participate in test days
>
> What do you think about this idea?
>
> We set up a time/room matrix for sessions now, with certain areas
> marked off for pre-decided user track content.
>
> We mark some additional room(s) as "TBA" for pre-set developer
> content.
>
> The remainder of the rooms/blocks would be "reserved for BarCamp,"
> preserving the fresh feel, and/or we set time aside for lightning
> talks or other on-the-spot content.
>
> > (I'm trying to talk some Seneca faculty into taking some sessions in the
> > user tracks).
>
> That's great Chris -- I would dearly love to have some practiced
> educators in this track especially.

I'm also reminded -- it would be great if we could make a point of
blogging about the need for some user-focused content in addition to
the normal technical deep dives in the technical session proposals.

We can seed the wiki with some of these proposals above, leaving the
names blank, and in addition, ask people to propose their own ideas
for user-track content, to help fill up two user tracks.