Times

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:16:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:05:55PM -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:

> Pfft, I just saw that this was rejected by the list back on Monday
> because I sent from the wrong address. Fwiw...
>
> ---
>
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 17:22 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > The original vision of the user track was to be more of a day-long
> > session.  But I can see how offering instead a set of simple topics in
> > 45-minute chunks would be helpful.  Is that what you're suggesting?
>
> Sure! We're all users, and I think that being able to mix and match
> would have more value than placing a wall between the two groups of
> tracks.
>
> I think it would also be easier to get speakers for the user track if
> it's cleanly divided into segments. You could even have a basic user
> track of sessions:
> - Installing Fedora
> - How to add and remove packages
> - Basic configuration of Fedora in common residential network scenarios
> - How to use audio (e.g., to set different volumes for different apps)
>
> ...and an intermediate user track:
> - Communicating with the community - using the mailing lists, IRC, and
> reading the planet
> - Intro to Packaging
> - How to file a bug
> - How to participate in test days

What do you think about this idea?

We set up a time/room matrix for sessions now, with certain areas
marked off for pre-decided user track content.

We mark some additional room(s) as "TBA" for pre-set developer
content.

The remainder of the rooms/blocks would be "reserved for BarCamp,"
preserving the fresh feel, and/or we set time aside for lightning
talks or other on-the-spot content.

> (I'm trying to talk some Seneca faculty into taking some sessions in the
> user tracks).

That's great Chris -- I would dearly love to have some practiced
educators in this track especially.