Swag (was: Re: FUDCon Tempe planning recap 2010-08-16)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:28:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:51:45PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> > * https://fedorahosted.org/fudcon-planning/ticket/24 (Finalize budget
>> >  estimates)  (stickster, 19:33:28)
>> >  * LINK: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Tempe_2011_budget <--
>> >    budget page  (stickster, 19:33:48)
>> >  * AGREED: People should add missing costs to the aforementioned page
>> >    so we know it's complete  (stickster, 19:48:51)
>>
>> T-shirts - did we just totally forget about this, or are we not having
>> them and I missed that thread (so to speak, hah)?
>
> :-)
>
> There are two points in Robyn's reminder (thanks Robyn!) that need
> addressing.  The first is a budget item -- yes, we need one!  I've
> added a line item for $1,500 right now as a placeholder, to be spent
> out of the Q3 Comm-Arch budget.
>
> Point two is, what are we going to offer for swag?  There was a thread
> of interest previously on advisory-board about this subject that I
> think all the planners should review before we make any decisions:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-July/008688.html
>
> Out of that thread came no clear and overwhelming opposition to
> shirts, but some good ideas were introduced to try something
> different.  Ideas included Fedora-themed lanyards, or handing out
> Fedora-branded USB keys that people could reuse.
>
> For reference... the Fedora-branded USB keys that Red Hat ordered
> through Brand Fuel for giveaway at the Red Hat Summit this past June
> cost $15 each, with a total run of 1,500 units.  That included
> duplication service for a Live image installed on the key, which might
> not be necessary for us.  The higher expense of a smaller run might be
> balanced out by not ordering duplication service for the drives.
>
> Before anyone asks, unfortunately there aren't any of those remaining
> -- the Summit had something like 2,200 attendees and because we didn't
> expect such a huge jump this year, we ran out!
>
> I can find out what a smaller run would cost us.  If anyone wants to
> look into lanyards or some other giveaway, you're free to jump in and
> price things out!

I received a quote earlier this year while considering getting Fedora
branded USB sticks for the ambassadors to use in various ways. The
prices I was quoted are as follows (same source as the Summit):

150: $15/ea
250: $13.98/ea
400-799: $13.54/ea

We decided they were just too expensive at the time of the quote
(February 2010).

I have also investigated Fedora branded lanyards from a different
source but the same manufacturer and style as those used at the
Summit. 250 of those will run in the $700-$800 ballpark. My
understanding is that FAmNA is probably willing to fund these with the
understanding that our goal is to get them to contributors who will
reuse them at other events post-FUDCon. With that in mind we were
thinking perhaps half would go to FUDCon and the other half would be
distributed in other ways to contributors. Nothing is definite on
these yet, but we have a source and can proceed however we choose.

John