Swag (was: Re: FUDCon Tempe planning recap 2010-08-16)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:31:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 08:28:35AM -0500, inode0 wrote:

> >> T-shirts - did we just totally forget about this, or are we not having
> >> them and I missed that thread (so to speak, hah)?
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > There are two points in Robyn's reminder (thanks Robyn!) that need
> > addressing.  The first is a budget item -- yes, we need one!  I've
> > added a line item for $1,500 right now as a placeholder, to be spent
> > out of the Q3 Comm-Arch budget.
> >
> > Point two is, what are we going to offer for swag?  There was a thread
> > of interest previously on advisory-board about this subject that I
> > think all the planners should review before we make any decisions:
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-July/008688.html
> >
> > Out of that thread came no clear and overwhelming opposition to
> > shirts, but some good ideas were introduced to try something
> > different.  Ideas included Fedora-themed lanyards, or handing out
> > Fedora-branded USB keys that people could reuse.
> >
> > For reference... the Fedora-branded USB keys that Red Hat ordered
> > through Brand Fuel for giveaway at the Red Hat Summit this past June
> > cost $15 each, with a total run of 1,500 units.  That included
> > duplication service for a Live image installed on the key, which might
> > not be necessary for us.  The higher expense of a smaller run might be
> > balanced out by not ordering duplication service for the drives.
> >
> > Before anyone asks, unfortunately there aren't any of those remaining
> > -- the Summit had something like 2,200 attendees and because we didn't
> > expect such a huge jump this year, we ran out!
> >
> > I can find out what a smaller run would cost us.  If anyone wants to
> > look into lanyards or some other giveaway, you're free to jump in and
> > price things out!
>
> I received a quote earlier this year while considering getting Fedora
> branded USB sticks for the ambassadors to use in various ways. The
> prices I was quoted are as follows (same source as the Summit):
>
> 150: $15/ea
> 250: $13.98/ea
> 400-799: $13.54/ea
>
> We decided they were just too expensive at the time of the quote
> (February 2010).

Sounds about right.  I'm guessing these quotes don't include
duplication service, correct?

So for a run of 150 for FUDCon, we'd be looking at $2250.  That seems
a little pricey for this event in the context of the overall budget.

> I have also investigated Fedora branded lanyards from a different
> source but the same manufacturer and style as those used at the
> Summit. 250 of those will run in the $700-$800 ballpark. My
> understanding is that FAmNA is probably willing to fund these with the
> understanding that our goal is to get them to contributors who will
> reuse them at other events post-FUDCon. With that in mind we were
> thinking perhaps half would go to FUDCon and the other half would be
> distributed in other ways to contributors. Nothing is definite on
> these yet, but we have a source and can proceed however we choose.

If FAmNA wanted to buy extra, to be more comfortable stocking up the
FUDCon event, I think it's safe to say Comm-Arch would happily
increase the budget by the necessary amount, say $400-500 to provide
150 extra lanyards.