International visas

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 20:36:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:38:39AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 07:27:45 am María Leandro wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > There are also countries where to ask for a visa you need to have already
> > paid the plain ticket, and add a copy of it to the request (with some other
> > documents)
>
> To get my visa for Brasil I had to already have purchased a Plane ticket and
> submit a copy of my travel info with the application. though my visa took 3
> days to process.  some embassys were longer. I think Toshisos was 10 days.
> Each embassy did tell you the exact processing time

Mine took three days but A real person had to drop off the information at
the embassy and pick it up after it was processed.  And then somehow get it
into the mail.  So that meant I needed to hire someone in the city with the
embassy that I then sent my documents to who took the information to the
embassy, dropped it off, picked them up, put them in an envelope, and sent
them back to me.  That added the extra week to the time to process.

It seems that getting visas as a US citizen traveling to other countries is
nothing compared to being a non-US citizen trying to travel into the US,
though.

If you're planning on travelling to the US without a VISA (under the Visa
waiver program) be sure to read about it and make sure that you're eligible:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

There's some requirements in addition to what country your passport was
issued for.  (Like the airline you're travelling on, having an electronic
passport in some cases, etc).

-Toshio