Events FAD remote participation infrastructure

Yaakov Nemoy ynemoy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 11 19:29:28 UTC 2010

2010/1/11 Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com>:
> Yaakov,
>
> You're the primary person listed on
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events_FAD_2010 who'll be joining us remotely
> - what kind of setup do you want, how can we make your remote participation
> experience totally rockin'?
>
> Anyone else interested in participating remotely, or have ideas on how to
> set this up nicely? (The results from the FUDCon survey are being analyzed
> now, so we may have more suggestions shortly.)
>
> --Mel

Since this FAD looks to be about the same size as the one we had in
Rheinfelden, i don't think we need any fancy architecture for this.
You all tend to work with a higher amount of technology though, than
i've seen in EMEA (such as gobby). (We're not backward hicks here,
just collaboration works differently here.)

I'm guessing we'll have the following data being passed around:

* A live stream of people talking
* Documents
* Meeting notes
* Information pulled out of a browser, etc...

It would also be nice to try out new technologies and new media if
there are any ideas.

For the discussion parts, we can get by on IRC, doing a Fedora Talk
stream would be great. I can at least listen in, though i have to do
something about a microphone.

I've never worked with gobby before, we can give that a try for
documents and meeting notes. We can also use meeting bot for basics
like links, action items and so on.

Finally, let's try some screen sharing tools. It would be nice to work
on a digital platform and see what other people are seeing. It might
even be useful inside the conference room too.

Also, i can't make any promises, but next week is a nerding event, and
i might want to sit down and play around with a few ideas, so we might
have something impromptu to try out. As long as people don't mind
pilots not being hosted on Fedora Infra this time around, i have a few
machines i can use at work and the connection is freakishly fast.

-Yaakov