Events FAD remote participation infrastructure

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 21:22:40 UTC 2010

> Since this FAD looks to be about the same size as the one we had in
> Rheinfelden, i don't think we need any fancy architecture for this.
> You all tend to work with a higher amount of technology though, than
> i've seen in EMEA (such as gobby). (We're not backward hicks here,
> just collaboration works differently here.)

I personally aim for As Little Technology As Possible - no sense in
having more to set up than we need.

> I'm guessing we'll have the following data being passed around:
>
> * A live stream of people talking
> * Documents
> * Meeting notes
> * Information pulled out of a browser, etc...
* Development/packaging of video-related software (possibly)

> It would also be nice to try out new technologies and new media if
> there are any ideas.
>
> For the discussion parts, we can get by on IRC, doing a Fedora Talk
> stream would be great. I can at least listen in, though i have to do
> something about a microphone.

We'll have a conference phone in the room we're in (20-person conference
room, says Max in today's meeting log.)

> I've never worked with gobby before, we can give that a try for
> documents and meeting notes. We can also use meeting bot for basics
> like links, action items and so on.

Yep, we should be continuously in #fudcon-planning - I think of IRC as
our default/fallback communication medium, in case the call drops out,
gobby doesn't work, etc. I think designating someone in the room at any
given point in time to serve as "The IRC Bridge" may be a good idea, so
remote folks know who they can ping to catch someone's attention.

> Finally, let's try some screen sharing tools. It would be nice to work
> on a digital platform and see what other people are seeing. It might
> even be useful inside the conference room too.

Yep - we'll have a projector in our hackroom, so that would be nice to
try out at some point.

> Also, i can't make any promises, but next week is a nerding event, and
> i might want to sit down and play around with a few ideas, so we might
> have something impromptu to try out. As long as people don't mind
> pilots not being hosted on Fedora Infra this time around, i have a few
> machines i can use at work and the connection is freakishly fast.

Jon, Dennis? You're our Infrastructure ninjas for the event, what do you
think?

--Mel