Events FAD engineering-project (Goal 3) update

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sun Jan 17 04:31:57 UTC 2010

On 01/15/2010 10:18 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
> Hi Paul, everyone
>
> Yes, if we can sub in gstreamer, and it looks promising, we can avoid
> the rpmfusion packages like ffmpeg, mencoder, etc.
>
> Regarding the flights... that option was cheaper but had 4 hops and
> arrived much later. If later worked, Air Canada has a 2 hop for just
> slightly more. This would be less prone to delays.
>
> There may not be a burning need for us to be there in person. We could
> also send just one of us - Thanh - if that helps the budget.

It would help the budget - after accounting for David's proposal, we've
got a bit under $950 USD and an empty hotel room bed left.

It would be great to have a freeseer hacker on-site - Andrew, I think
you and your team are in the best position to determine what would help
the most. A ticket for Thanh would certainly fit in a $950 USD budget.
Here are some other things we might want to consider using the budget for:

* Purchasing equipment - vga2usb converters, microphones, vga splitters,
etc. needed to make a "Record Fedora Events In A Box" kit so we can
start using this immediately after the FAD (hopefully!)

* Bringing in a gstreamer hacker for the weekend (Chris Montgomery is in
Westford, MA - we could ask if he'd like to come, or participate
remotely; a plane ticket from Boston is under $200 USD.)

* ...other things you can think of?

Freeseer folks - from a "we want to remove rpmfusion dependencies from
freeseer by the end of the FAD" perspective, what do you think would be
most valuable (in other words, if you had $950 USD and one "free" empty
hotel bed - to add another hotel room to the FAD would be about $180 USD
- what would you want to spend it on?)

I'd like to finish settling the FAD budget at Monday's meeting
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events_FAD_2010#Meetings, 1700-1800 UTC
(noon-1pm EST)) if possible, so we can spend the rest of our prep time
gearing up tech-wise for the engineering part of this sprint.

--Mel