Events FAD engineering-project (Goal 3) update

Andrew Ross aross at fosslc.org
Sun Jan 17 13:46:38 UTC 2010

Mel, Everyone

It would be very nice to see everyone in person...

Although, in my opinion, you would be better off using the money to buy 1
vga2usb capture device (comes with the vga splitter & cables) and one good
wireless mic (we use sennheiser ew100g2's and they're great). The simple
logic being that this investment means you can record as many talks as you
like and thus is very tough to beat.

My team and I are happy to keep working towards removing dependencies on the
rpmfusion components. Simply put, if we can break those ties, then freeseer
install can become one yum command which would be nice and we can avoid
hopping from a proprietary codec and go straight to ogg (theora + vorbis) .
We plan to do this development anyway, though we are very grateful and
appreciative of the support you've offered and working together in the
future.

We'll do some videos of freeseer in action to help ease the training burden.
Fortunately, we've used volunteers at events that had never seen it before
and they were able to record talks after about 10 minutes of training. The
interface is very easy... start/stop buttons and either a text file or
manually input the talk title and speaker name into a simple form.

I suspect with help from Chris, Thanh will be able to get things working in
short order. This could be done remotely.

Andrew

2010/1/16 Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com>

> On 01/15/2010 10:18 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
> > Hi Paul, everyone
> >
> > Yes, if we can sub in gstreamer, and it looks promising, we can avoid
> > the rpmfusion packages like ffmpeg, mencoder, etc.
> >
> > Regarding the flights... that option was cheaper but had 4 hops and
> > arrived much later. If later worked, Air Canada has a 2 hop for just
> > slightly more. This would be less prone to delays.
> >
> > There may not be a burning need for us to be there in person. We could
> > also send just one of us - Thanh - if that helps the budget.
>
> It would help the budget - after accounting for David's proposal, we've
> got a bit under $950 USD and an empty hotel room bed left.
>
> It would be great to have a freeseer hacker on-site - Andrew, I think
> you and your team are in the best position to determine what would help
> the most. A ticket for Thanh would certainly fit in a $950 USD budget.
> Here are some other things we might want to consider using the budget for:
>
> * Purchasing equipment - vga2usb converters, microphones, vga splitters,
> etc. needed to make a "Record Fedora Events In A Box" kit so we can
> start using this immediately after the FAD (hopefully!)
>
> * Bringing in a gstreamer hacker for the weekend (Chris Montgomery is in
> Westford, MA - we could ask if he'd like to come, or participate
> remotely; a plane ticket from Boston is under $200 USD.)
>
> * ...other things you can think of?
>
> Freeseer folks - from a "we want to remove rpmfusion dependencies from
> freeseer by the end of the FAD" perspective, what do you think would be
> most valuable (in other words, if you had $950 USD and one "free" empty
> hotel bed - to add another hotel room to the FAD would be about $180 USD
> - what would you want to spend it on?)
>
> I'd like to finish settling the FAD budget at Monday's meeting
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events_FAD_2010#Meetings, 1700-1800 UTC
> (noon-1pm EST)) if possible, so we can spend the rest of our prep time
> gearing up tech-wise for the engineering part of this sprint.
>
> --Mel

Andrew