Lodging booked, logistics budget wrapped, $902.42 budget for equipment

Andrew Ross aross at fosslc.org
Thu Jan 21 13:56:41 UTC 2010

Hi Mel, Clint

FYI, the vga2usb device from epiphan is actually a small box kit that
includes the vga splitter cable, vga extension cable, and pretty much all
you need. The one addition I would make is to get a 10 ft usb extension
cable. In my opinion, extending the USB is easier than extending the vga
cable to avoid signal loss. It's also a lot smaller and lighter which is a
good thing.

One nice thing about the ew100g2's is that they pack into a small pencil
case. This keeps them safe, and means they're very portable. The fact they
run on batteries is really nice. Means you can record in all sorts of crazy
places without power readily available. The base units don't facilitate that
unfortunately.

The usb powered vga extension looks interesting... I'm not sure if it
provides any signal boost and thus if it's worthwhile. If you decide to go
for it, I'd be interested to know.

Also, having done quite a bit of testing with many types of batteries in the
ew100g2's, I've found that the choices are alkaline OR eneloop (Sanyo) NiMH
batteries. Thus far, eneloop is the only NiMH that I've found that works
right in the mic/receiver - each takes 2 AA batteries.

Andrew

2010/1/20 Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com>

> > This wraps up everything except for getting equipment, for which we have
> > $902.42 budget remaining; this is a good investment in durable events
> > recording equipment that we'll be using frequently for many years (one
> > hopes).
>
> Update on this: Clint is looking at shiny things and coming up with a
> proposed shopping list for us. The list at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events_FAD_2010#Equipment is largely
> taken from suggestions and links from Andrew and Jon (thanks, folks!)
>
> --Mel

Andrew