Armagetron: clarification

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Jul 17 17:15:23 UTC 2007

Jon Ciesla wrote:
>>> To clarify further, would it be adequate to sed -i s/old/new/ the
>>> infringing text where it occurs, changing filenames/paths as
>>> appropriate,
>>> at build time, or should the source tarball be modified beforehand, to
>>> prevent presence of infringing material in distributed SRPMS?
>>>
>> In order to infringe a trademark one must "advertise" with it, so its fine
>> just use patches / sed as you like.
>>
>> This is all AFAIK, IANAL ofcourse, but this is what other troublesome
>> packages
>> have been doing sofar.
>
> I've got a basic package ready that's modified somewhat to fit Fedora's
> filesystem layout.  I still need to add a Desktop file, and clarify the
> handling of the user account for the -dedicated package.  It comes with a
> script that tries to do it for you, as well as the initscript portion.
> Before I test those, I'd like to know whether I should use upstream's
> scripts, or if there's a preferred way of handling the user and initscript
> issues in the spec.

Does this user uid need to be persistent over different installs within the
same network? If so it needs special handling, else just an adduser from %pre,
with the proper shell (or better lack there of), description, homedir etc, will
suffice.

Do not remove this user on erase, unless you are 100% sure that no files owned
by it will be left behind under for example /var after erase.

> I'm also looking for more detail as far as how deeply the name needs to be
> changed.  I know I have to change the package name, the name displayed in
> Desktop, and the name as seen in-game.  What about path names, variable
> names, etc?

Only user visible things need to be changed, again think "advertising" not as
in adds, but as in visible in the spash screen, etc.

So variables are not an issue at all, path names / filenames are not an issue
either AFAIK. Spot?

Regards,

Hans