[fedora-india] Ambassadors in India

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:11:18 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 07:03 PM, Debayan Banerjee wrote:
> On 10 May 2010 10:22, Ashwin <ashwin.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have not listed myself as an ambassador so far, if the rewards /
>> incentives are good enough, I will surely list myself :)
>
> Fedora as a project does not need to dish out monetary rewards for
> contributions. The quality of its community is excellent and is also
> very mature. For projects such as these, being able to involve
> yourself actively is a reward in itself.

Bingo, absolutely correct. The right pinch gets right answers. I am
happy you have highlighted the fact that a persons self decided and
volunteered association is great enough a reward. Then why disassociate
the same person without his confirmation / concurrence.

> Sun and MicroSoft have campus ambassador-ship programs that have
> monetary benefits for students. I would not like to become a part of
> either of them. They pay students to create a community, which never
> ends up happening at the end of the day.

This is a different discussion. There still many more MS addicts /
slaves as compared to enlightened LINUX users.

> If you pay for a community, you are doomed to begin with.
> Rahul's mail is aimed at optimising the process of inducting and
> maintaining ambassadors. He is not desperate. Hence he does not need
> ideas like the ones you gave. I think if you realise that, the
> argument is dead.

It is not the urgency we are discussing. Ambassadors come and go, why
remove them from a list. If some do not respond, so what ?

> As for accountability, there are enough number of people who will be
> volunteers and still be accountable. There are also enough number of
> people who are the opposite. I for example, am not accountable for the
> project i worked on for a few months. I get some hate mails sometimes
> for that and I believe I deserve it, but I then I dont really care.
> What I am saying is, there are enough number of people unlike you and
> I to keep projects like Fedora going.

Very true, it takes all types for the world to be. So I am also here. If
you guys do not want my views, please say so and I will stop writing.

with Regards,
ASHWIN