[fedora-india] Ambassadors in India

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:24:08 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 07:41 PM, Ashwin wrote:

> It is not the urgency we are discussing. Ambassadors come and go, why
> remove them from a list. If some do not respond, so what ?

Then they no longer serve their roles are being  a representative of the
project and do not serve as points of contact.  If I a person new to
Fedora and contacted a ambassador who never responded to me, it leaves a
bad impression on the project.  I as a Fedora contributor also would
like to differentiate between people I can rely on vs people who have
signed up and do not respond at all after that.   We have consensus
among the mentors on the approach to take and we will go forward with
it.  It is rather telling that no actual ambassador who might be
supposedly affected has raised any concerns over that.   We will have to
agree to disagree on idea of Fedora contributors who have zero
accountability.,  If someone volunteers to maintain packages, I expect
them to respond to bug reports. If someone volunteers to administrate
Fedora servers, I expect to take responsibility for doing exact that.  I
am pretty sure contributors need to have a sense of accountability and
responsibility towards the role that they are performing whether they do
it voluntarily or otherwise.  No project can be sustainable
otherwise.    This is not limited to software projects.  If I volunteer
to do a role in a NGO without any compensation, I would still expect a
mutual level of commitment.

If anyone else has a different view point, they are of course entitled
to that but I wouldn't been keen to serve the role of a mentor for
them.  As simple as that.