[fedora-india] Fedora India budget FY 16-17

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:59:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
<siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 November 2015 at 21:12, Aditya Patawari <adimania at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with your point of view. However, if we do not allocate funds
>> in APAC regional budget, then either we have to convince Flock
>> organizers to include APAC or no one from APAC gets to go to Flock.
>> Keeping that in mind, I think, until we are able to convince and get a
>> confirmation that APAC will get a funding from Flock budget, we should
>> have some provisions from regional budget.
>
> The "convince Flock organizers to include APAC" is the sticky bit IMO
> - why does it have to be that way?  Like I said, if Flock organizers
> don't see value in a session because it's not from NA/EMEA then it is
> discriminatory and it should be called out.  If they don't see value
> in the session because they deem it uninteresting for a general
> audience but if APAC thinks it is important that it be present, then
> we could fund it.  I no longer see the point of earmarking some funds
> to support an already fat Flock budget just for the sake of it.
Several talks from APAC contributors ( and probably LATAM) were
selected for Flock. It is not that the Flock organizers did not see a
value. They did not allocate any budget to APAC and LATAM. These are
two different things. Although, I agree that with no budget,
effectively APAC gets almost kicked out of the event.
That being said, I am not arguing on the fairness of Flock organizers.
I simply want a fallback budget to ensure that APAC contributors reach
Flock, regardless of where the money come from. If it comes from Flock
budget, great. If not, we should have plans to be able to send some
contributors there.