ticket#2673 - nitrate deployment

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 20:00:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 11:11 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:29:03 -0400
> James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Packaging of nitrate is progressing.  Libraries bundled within nitrate
> > have been identified and submitted as separate package reviews.  While
> > the process isn't complete, I'm curious if we can pipeline a bit.  Is
> > it possible to setup a publictest instance while packaging
> > progresses?  The intent for this instance wouldn't be for production
> > use ... more to allow us to explore use cases for Fedora and to
> > identify any other nitrate features/changes.
>
> Well, possibly, but you may well have to redo things as the packaging
> changes, so it might be more work than it's worth in the end. ;)
>
> > While I still think we should wait until all packaging work is
> > completed before officially deploying and supporting an instance, I'm
> > hoping to avoid waiting for packaging work to complete, deploying a
> > test instace, then discovering some other use-case (or upstream
> > functionality) roadblock.
> >
> > Any thoughts/concerns with this idea?
>
> Well, the other side of the coin is that you install now, get it all
> working, then have to just re-install and get it working again when the
> packaging is done. Of course there might not be too many changes from
> the packaging side that require redoing things. I'm not sure where the
> packaging is sitting at this point.

I suspect it will be as you say, some re-{install,config} would be
needed as the package progresses through review.  I'm accustomed to that
workflow already, so I wouldn't be upset about those changes.  Also, am
I correct in thinking that this publictest instance is just for testing
purposes.  Anything considered production would need to be handled
differently, or in a separate request?

> So, I would say:
>
> * How far out does the packaging look? Is it getting close? or still
>   much to do?

It'd say it's progressing, I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving an
accurate percentage complete.  I'll defer to rhe (cc'd) for more up2date
guidance there.  As I understand it, upstream is involved and actively
responding to issues raised during review.  The current challenge
involves identifying bundled libraries, and moving them off into
separate package reviews.

> * How close is whatever you would install today to what the final
>   packaging will be? Just the same thing but split out into seperate
>   packages?

I *think* so.  There will likely be a new upstream release (or two)
while this happens.  But I don't expect a tremendous amount of
package-related churn for that.

Thanks,
James