ticket#2673 - nitrate deployment

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Aug 10 15:20:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:00:35 -0400
James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> I suspect it will be as you say, some re-{install,config} would be
> needed as the package progresses through review.  I'm accustomed to
> that workflow already, so I wouldn't be upset about those changes.
> Also, am I correct in thinking that this publictest instance is just
> for testing purposes.  Anything considered production would need to
> be handled differently, or in a separate request?

Correct. The plan is basically:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/RFR
and the workflow is:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Request_for_resources_SOP

So, things start with a dev instance. In this nothing is saved, ideas
and setup are tried out, the packages are tested, process for
installing/managing is written up, thoughts are gathered about caching
and possible setup moving forward, a sysadmin-resourcename is setup
with all responsible folks working on the resource (which allows us to
know who is working on it and easily contact them), etc.

> > So, I would say:
> >
> > * How far out does the packaging look? Is it getting close? or still
> >   much to do?
>
> It'd say it's progressing, I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving
> an accurate percentage complete.  I'll defer to rhe (cc'd) for more
> up2date guidance there.  As I understand it, upstream is involved and
> actively responding to issues raised during review.  The current
> challenge involves identifying bundled libraries, and moving them off
> into separate package reviews.
>
> > * How close is whatever you would install today to what the final
> >   packaging will be? Just the same thing but split out into seperate
> >   packages?
>
> I *think* so.  There will likely be a new upstream release (or two)
> while this happens.  But I don't expect a tremendous amount of
> package-related churn for that.

ok.

So, I guess if you guys are ready for a dev instance we could set one
up and get the ball rolling? Or wait until packaging is done to reduce
the amount of churn/changes. ;) Up to you.