fedora hosted, sharding and openid

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 13 17:13:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> I think we could also look at getting a wildcard cert and just stay
> with https. But I agree thats a detail... either way is probibly fine.

<shrug> I'm fine with either way.

> I think we might want to setup a hosted01.stg at some point for testing
> things out. It would be good to be able to do that without bothering
> production. If we split projects out we could also have some direct to
> the staging instance too.

Any reason not to do that in a cloud instance - heck doesn't even need to
be called 'staging' it is just staging projects.

We can even prototype fedorahosted.org/projectname redirects in that way.

> So, would these hosted instances be something good for persistent
> cloud? Or do you think they would be better as regular vhosts?
> I think it might be nifty to at least have the ability to spin them in
> cloud instances so we could rapidly move/add things to that (think of a
> slashdot day for a project, we could move them to a big cloud instance
> and then move them back to the regular vhost after it was calmed down).

EXTREMELY popular - could mean we dump them out to a public cloud instance
and/or spread it out to other colos to get the load off of phx2, for
example.

We'll need to make our dns changes a bit more agile, I suspect. And I also
suspect we'll want to talk about making the mechanism for updating
cloud.fedoraproject.org and fedorahosted.org more template driven and
local-db-driven.

So instead of editing a file by hand you just add a projectname and a
hostname to a db/file and git commit/push.

so much to do.

-sv