[fedora-java] Default java.library.path in Fedora

Mat Booth fedora at matbooth.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 11:23:00 UTC 2011

On 28 March 2011 12:08, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/11 18:34, Mat Booth wrote:
>> In F14's OpenJDK, the default java.library.path currently does not
>> include /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib64 so if a third party JNI
>> library installs itself into one of those directories then the JVM
>> will not know about it.
>>
>> Is this a bug? I think it would be appropriate if /usr/local/lib and
>> /usr/local/lib64 were included in the default java.library.path
>
> I wouldn't have thought so.  /usr/local/lib isn't really standard for
> anything.  Even if we could patch OpenJDK to do this, the third party
> apps would immediately break with any other JRE.
>
> Doesn't it make more sense for the app to know where its native library
> is, and load it from the right place?
>
> Andrew.
> --

I would rather the app not have to care where the libraries are, but
for some odd reason the autotools in Fedora uses a default prefix of
/usr/local rather than /usr

If this is not a standard location then maybe this is an autotools
bug? I shouldn't have to tell the autotools where it is appropriate to
install things for the operating system it ships with :-/

Either way, I expect the default settings to just work.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora