[fedora-java] Fedora vs JPackage naming

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 07:41:14 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Yes the choice is arbitrary and I'm not fan of this. But there is no size fits them all.
This choices are made by the packagers if they feel that given artifacts are coming from the same project and it would
help them even remotely to achieve their tasks(e.g. by allowing them to add single folder to classpath instead of enumerating dozens of jars manually) I can understand the reasoning. Plus in the guidelines there is a statement that if package installs more than 2 jars they should go into _javadir/name/ which at least for me makes it perfectly viable place for installation if your package is coming from the same source and you depend on that previous package. I'm sure that this eliminates a number of the arbitrary-looking choices but I guess this is not clearly stated in the guidelines thus I'll really appreciate someone with better English than mine to provide the rewording needed and get the guidelines updated. We should always strive for cleaner guidelines.

Alex