[fedora-java] Chosing implementations for EE APIs and finalizing guidelines

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 01:02:44 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 09:16 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> With new additions to packaging guidelines for EE APIs, we have to pick
> 1 implementation for each API.
>
> I have made initial proposal for these APIs into the draft[1]. My
> criterias:
>   1. if JDK provides it, we are done. Packages should remove this
>      dependency from pom.xml files

+1

This should be based on the default JDK version provided by Fedora,
which is currently JDK 7 for Fedora 17 / 18.

>   2. Prefer packages with smaller and simpler BR/R chains. Good example
>      being javax.servlet.jsp where I preferred glassfish-jsp over tomcat
>      or other implementations.

+1

# of dependencies is one of the first concerns I heard when I began
telling developers about the JBoss AS package. If they are necessary,
it's reasonable to explain. When a dependency doesn't seem at all
related, people start to develop a bad opinion of the package. It's not
just about disk space, it's also about perception.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597