[fedora-java] Q: How to locally maven-install a fedora maven-based package?

Michal Srb msrb at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 08:17:24 UTC 2015

Hi Alec,

On 04/08/2015 09:22 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> I'm probably dumb (again...) but: my current understanding is that
> when installing a typical fedora java package it installs
> /usr/share/maven-metadata/app.xml and other things including a jar
> file typically like /usr/share/java/app/app.jar.
>
> Now, if I need to make some local development I need to install this
> app.jar file into my local maven repository using something like
>
> mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=... -DartifactId=... -Dfile=...
>
> All this metadata (groupId, artifactId, etc.) is available in the
> /usr/share/maven-metadata/app.xml file. So, my question: is there any
> tool which parses app.xml and installs the jar file to the local maven
> repository?
>
> Or have I just got it wrong, and there is another much more elegant
> way to make system jar files available to the local maven?

You can call "xmvn" instead of "mvn" and it will first try to use system
jars. Only artifacts not available on your system will be downloaded
from Maven Central. It's important to note that "xmvn" ignores artifact
versions. It will first try to find exact version, but if it's not
available, it will look for any other version of given artifact.

As you can see, development against system jars can be a bit
problematic. That's because "system" jars are not really meant to be
used for development (IMO). We usually package jars into RPMs, because
some Java application needs them at runtime/compile time.

Michal